People with profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD):
- have more than one disability
- have a profound learning disability
- have great difficulty communicating
- need high levels of support with most aspects of daily life
- may have additional sensory or physical disabilities, complex health needs or mental health difficulties
- may have behaviours that challenge us.
We support people with PMLD to make their wants and needs known by listening to both their verbal and non-verbal feedback and working in partnership with their families and carers, and other service providers.
To ensure we meet the needs of individuals, we use a number of communication aids, including Picture Exchange Communication Systems.
We aim to work with people to develop person-centred support plans, which focus on the things that are important to them.